Stress is a major health problem in many parts of the world, and the causes of stress are not going away any time soon. What that means is that you need some simple remedies to relieve stress. The causes may still be there, but they won’t have a negative effect on you if you are able to deal with them in a positive way. Here are a few simple things you can do to prevent stress from taking a toll on you. (Always talk to your doctor about any health concerns you have, including stress.)
1. Reduce your sodium intake. Stress raises your blood pressure which can be especially dangerous if you already suffer from hypertension. Reducing your sodium intake will help to keep your blood pressure under control, and will also minimize the damage that stress does to your body.
2. Get plenty of sleep. While everybody is different, there is no question that most people have a major sleep deficit. You should aim for about 8 hours of sleep, though you may need more. Set a regular time for going to bed and getting up, and stick to it (even on weekends). The quality of sleep you get is also important. You should only use your bedroom for sleeping so your body associates it with sleep. The tricky part to all of this is that stress can cause insomnia, which can lead to more stress. If you think this is a problem then talk to your doctor about getting a sleep study done.
Simple Remedies To Relieve Stress
3. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine. It stands to reason that you’re going to be tired if you don’t get a good night’s sleep, and one way to compensate for that tired feeling is to drink caffeinated beverages. The problem is that caffeine is a stimulant which not only puts stress on your body, it also makes you more on edge and susceptible to stress.
4. Reflect on the positive. If you are the type of person who is worried and anxious on a regular basis, then reflecting on the positive things that have happened will help you to reduce stress. This turns your focus away from the things that cause you stress, and puts it back on those things that make you feel good. Recalling the positive things will take some practice at first, but stick with it and will count this as one of the simple remedies to relieve stress.
5. Take a nap. We all have times when we feel overworked and stressed out. When this happens to you, take a nap and recharge your batteries. Studies have shown that naps can make you feel better, and there is even some evidence that naps in the workplace can improve productivity. A quick twenty-minute snooze should be enough to reap the stress-reducing benefits of napping. You will be able to calm down by using these simple remedies to relieve stress. Use them as often as needed and you will feel much better in no time.